Social Networks and Platforms
Was this something new?
Ability to hack in widgets etc.
Configure your own social network
- The first broad social graph
Why are social networks platforms?
They embody key data for applications useful in the real world
Early example: Friendster as dating service
The data+consumer engagement=channel for these apps
Facebook Versus Ning
Facebook already had a social graph
Social Networks and Professional Networks
Facebook is not trying to effect business
- you cannot search by "open source" and find people with these competencies
- search company connections not easy on facebook
- Linked In Answers
It is a misconception that anything can be used for anything. Of course it can, but do you want it to
- For business you do not want people to find who you are on Facebook
One graph to rule them all?
- Personal theory is that there will be multiple graphs
- different rules in different brands and social networks Facebook Platform: some of the opportunities enabled
- What does the social platform mean for the evolution of the web?
Facebook Platform: some of the opportunities enabled
- Microcosm of the web: how do you get above all the clutter
- The challenge of the second act
How do you create something that is sustainable
- Cost per installs? Is this really a fair way for agencies to buy media
- Targeted advertising
- Virtual currencies
What does the social platform mean for the evolution of the web?
- What is still up in the air?
- Massive competition a la the web
New patterns for email and communications
new ways of creating shared communication environments
- "The photo sharing app was sheer genius"
Future of discovery of the web
- Facebook as social search engine
- Most of the web is hugely irrelevant, Facebook can help get to the data you want